8/25/2005

Useless Information?

Here are some more thoughts and tidbits:

Monday night's Cubs/Braves game was televised locally on TBS Superstation. Earlier in the season I attempted to watch a Braves game on TBS and could not because Chip Caray was calling the game, well Monday I did not have a choice. The phrase 'Don't know What You Got 'Til It's Gone' kept ringing through my head. See this is only the second season of me being a Cubs' fan that I have not listened to and or watched a member of the Caray family call a Cubs' game. (In the off-season I will talk more about the Carays and the current WGN play-by-play guys) Monday night I realized how good Chip is, how much I missed listening to him and how much that family means to Cubs' fans. The entire Caray family can make watching or listening to a ball game, feel like the first one you have ever seen. Here's to you Harry and Chip...

I also noticed on Monday they changed the sign at Wrigley to 'AC026097'.(I will explain this in the offseason). Sad...but true!

No further information is available on Aramis Ramirez. The Cubs said he would be looked at again on Friday before making a decision.

Cubs.com reported possibilities today on the September call-ups. Ronny Cedeno, Matt Murton and Rich Hill are easy choices. What about Felix Pie? Pie has been hurt most of the year and I think a September call-up could be as dangerous as helpful. Leave him in the minors and invite him to Mesa, start fresh in 2006.

Todd Walker and Todd Hollandsworth cleared waivers today. I think this is the beginning of the end for those 2 in a Cubs uniform.

I also found this info very interesting. Although I like Nomar, this is what cubs.com had to say about his future with the Cubs. 'Nomar Garciaparra, 32, does have good years left, just don't know if they will be with the Cubs. That's another hot topic for the Cubs brass to discuss. They are high on Cedeno, who batted .355 with eight homers and 36 RBIs in 65 games with Triple-A Iowa and had an on-base percentage of .403.'

My question is, can Nomar play second base? With them putting Walker on waivers, that is telling me he's gone at the end of the season. Would Nomar be able to remain healthy at a less physical position? Would we see the 'old' Nomar? The one that can hit the cover off the ball. His defense has gotten worse over the years, could this help. Remember Ernie Banks was a shortstop and when he got older moved to first base. Johnny Bench did the same. I am not comparing Nomar to these guys, I am just comparing the situation. An infield of Derrek Lee, Nomar Garciaparra, Ronny Cedeno and Aramis Ramirez..that might be something special.

Time to go Fishin'...just win one!!

2 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 10:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a diehard Sox fan who believes the Cubs are not out of it until the "bean counter" says they are done. If the Fat lady has to sing, I hope it is the song she does best:-

"When the moon comes over the mountain,
Every beam brings a dream of a North/South World Series.."

 
At 8/27/2005 07:59:00 PM, Blogger Neil said...

You are a 100% correct and I should not look at the season the way I have. Like all fans, I just would like to see them get to the World Series, to win one would be icing on the cake. Can a get a copy of the song you are talking about? I do not think I have ever heard it. Do you have all the lyrics? Any help would be great..and remember to root for the home teams (Cubs, Sox and Titans)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home